About Us • Home Page
Help Our Pets, Inc. is a non-profit organization that has been finding loving homes for neglected, abused and homeless pets for over 45 years!
We wish to Thank NBC News Channel 4 Los Angeles for featuring our story on July 7th!
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
*Keep Your Pet Safe and Cool in Summer!*
Heat can kill. As the temperature climbs, consider your pet's perspective. Symptoms of overheating, sometimes called heatstroke or heat exhaustion, include lethargy, excessive panting and salivation, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and collapse.
If you suspect your pet has heatstroke, wet it with water from a hose, put it in cool - not cold - water, or wrap it in a wet towel. Call your veterinarian immediately! Heatstroke requires veterinary care.
Follow these tips to keep your pet cool and safe this summer.
• Leave your pet home when you run errands. Even with the windows down, your car quickly can turn into an oven.
• Exercise your dog in early morning or late evening, when it's cooler.
• Let your dog stand on grass or shaded surfaces when outdoors. Asphalt and concrete absorb heat, and hot surfaces can burn footpads.
• Take plenty of cold water when traveling with your pet.
• Provide shade and fresh water if you take your pet to the beach and rinse saltwater from its coat.
• Provide shade and plenty of water for your pet and keep your pet indoors during the hottest part of the day.
• Fill a child's pool with water for your pet to play in.
• Play indoor games for exercise on the hottest days rather than a walk.
Have a great summer with your pet!